The following factors will contribute to the drama of this plan:
- This is my first felted bag
- This is my first bag
- The yarn is some generic wool I got on eBay.
- I am making up my own fair isle pattern to go on the bag
- I have never done fair isle before
- I have 1.5 weeks to complete this project
- The bag is for my MIL
- It is my MIL's 70th birthday
- My dad is coming to visit this weekend, which will drastically decrease my knitting time
I did a swatch last night. This yarn is scritchy! Ow!
This evening I hand-felted it with hot water and soap, here it is still wet:
Okay, I'm starting to enjoy this more.
My plan is to make the bottom and handles with the dark pink color. I am also going to double the yarn on the bottom, just to make it more sturdy. I had read a few other comments about the bag needing this if you want it to sit on its own. Since I am going to have a 8-stitch repeat pattern, I am going to not do the decreases. There is probably a cool and clever way that I could accomplish the decreases, but I do not have the time for that kind of mental anguish.
MIL is a very sweet woman, I want to give her a nice present for her big day. Wish me luck!