Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas Blog-o-rama!

After long months stashed in the closet, the gifts I made for Christmas can finally come out! Wait, that's not quite what I meant.

This year's theme: Toasty Heads and Necks. Previous years, I made cookies and helped add to that winter weight. This year, I'm getting us all out of the house and into the weather with some warm hats and scarves.

I have an obsession with Noro Silk Garden and found its perfect use: Entrelac. What a fun technique, and with the color changes in the yarn, I never got bored. In fact, I couldn't stop until I ran out of Noro.






Three different scarves, using the Entrelac technique.

Yarn: 3 skeins Noro Silk Garden

Needles: US #8 Bamboo straight needles

Pattern notes: Cast on 18 stitches, and use 6 stitches per triangle.

More Noro! Now I find myself with single skeins of Noro Kureyon, and found a great pattern for beanies. This was a great quick knit, and a wonderful way to show off the beautiful colors in this yarn.


Pattern was based on Kureyon Skull Cap

Yarn: 1 skein of Noro Kureyon

Needles: US #9 and #10 circulars and #10 dpns

Notes: I did this pattern in the round rather than knit flat. I also did not want to do the crocheted edge, so I increased the number of rows in the straight stretch from 11 to 18.

Two-Movie Hat

Pattern: Two Movie Hat

Yarn: Encore Plymouth, one 100g skein each of grey, brown, and charcoal

Needles: #6 circulars and #6 dpns

Notes: This was a bit loose for an adult head. For the boy's pattern, I modified the pattern as follows: Use US #4 needles, and cast on 76 stitches. On row 8, increase by one more than the pattern says. Knit straight for slightly more than 5 inches. Skip rows 31 and 32.

Mom's hat and scarf

My So Called Scarf and Marsan Watchcap

Yarn: 1 skein of Schaefer Marjaana in Jane Addams color

Notes: I really loved My So Called Scarf! What a great way to show off a variegated yarn! This is a closeup of the stitch pattern:


Merry Christmas everyone!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great bunch of knitting, there. I love them all, but the entrelac scarves are especially great. Also the So Called Scarf.

Bezzie said...

WOW! No wonder you've been quiet on the blog for a bit! I like that you got us all chilled out with that last post only to warm us up with your beautiful knitted FOs in this one!

Jessica said...

Great beanies! Your my so called scarf rocks. It's is knit so nice and perfect. I've frogged mine a couple times now. It's on the shelf as we speak. I might give it another go now that the holidays are over! :)

Zonda said...

Awesome knits there! Thanks for the skull cap link too! Go you! :)

Anonymous said...

that is wonkee-tastic!

you are knitting machine of gourdess proportions!

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow. You have to love Noro after seeing that. Beautiful. Now, do you mean each of those scarves took 3 skeins or there are 3 scarves that took 1 skein each?

alimum said...

that entrelac scarf is making my fingers itch...I have a stash of kureyon and have been wondering what to do with it

wonky said...

Oh that was confusing. There are three scarves that took 3 skeins of Silk Garden each.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Anonymous said...

Those are all gorgeous. I love Noro! Entrelac is impressive as is, but with the beautiful color changes, it's even better. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Wow that scarf is delightful! Now I want Noro but I am on a yarn diet...... 8 months and I haven't bought a thing....